Zimbabwe - 1991 slideshow

This page contains some pictures from my holiday in Zimbabwe, with my Uncle Alex. We stayed with my Aunt Jess and Uncle Roger and my cousin Ian.

The holiday started with a nice, relaxing few days in Harare, at my uncle and aunt's house, some time at their friend's cottage in the Vumba mountains and with their friends the Baines's in Nyanga. We then had a week of flying about the country, followed by some more time at Harare before leaving.


We stayed for a few days at this cottage in the Vumba mountains, travelling to some of the surrounding places. This was the most relaxing time of the holiday: I spent a lot of time sitting on the cool veranda. The cottage was about 5 or 6,000 feet above sea level, so any exercise tired us out quickly.


We also stayed for a few days at Noel and Irene Baines' house in Nyanga. Again, this was very high up in the hills. Noel owned quite a lot of land around his house and used it to grow apples. He was also building a dam at the time.


The view from the Baines' house was fabulous, looking down to Mozambique, just visible through the haze.


The first stop on our whistle-stop tour was Lake Kariba. We stayed overnight beside this man-made lake and took a boat trip in the evening. The water had flooded the valley, leaving some petrified tree tops sticking out. We saw some hippo and a crocodile on this trip. The next morning, my aunt had a hippo walk by her chalet.


After Kariba we went to Hwange, staying at a safari lodge (a fairly modern hotel really). Here we were treated to an evening and a morning drive. The morning one was fairly uneventful, but in the evening we saw loads of animals: elephant, giraffe, buffalo, gnu, baboons, warthog, eagles and even a glimpse of some lions. In the evening, around sunset, the elephants came down to the watering hole behind the hotel to bathe and grab some supper.


We stayed at the town of Victoria Falls next, for two nights. We visited the crocodile farm, where they breed crocs for leather and food, releasing some back into the wilds. One lady's hat blew into one of the crocodile enclosures, causing the crocs to encircle it, looking as if they meant trouble. The keeper just walked in and retrieved it.


This baobab tree stands close to the falls themselves, near Livingstone's statue.


The falls were incredible. There is no commercialistion of the area round about: no shops, not even barriers next to the cliff edge. The spray that kicks up from the falls has resulted in a small strip of tropical rain forest, just across the gorge. Further down the gorge is a railway bridge.



After seeing the falls we went on a cruise on the Zambezi, as the sun went down. My aunt caught her wedding ring on a door catch and had to be taken away on a motor boat to the nearest hospital.

Home Page
David Meiklejohn